1. Navy Beans”The Heart Helper”: Navy beans have the most cholesterol-clobbering fiber of any bean at 10.5 grams per 100-gram serving, plus tons of potassium. In fact, a study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that a high-potassium diet helped people lower their blood pressure more than just limiting salt.
2. Garbanzo Beans “The Diabetes Destroyer”: Also known as chickpeas, garbanzos are high in fiber, which helps stabilize blood sugar, lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes.
3. Lentils “The Cancer Crusher”: Women who eat lentils frequently have a lower risk of developing breast cancer, says a study in the International Journal of Cancer.
4. Red Kidney Beans “The Anti-Aging Agent”: Contains more antioxidants and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids than any of its bean brethren. Importantly, omega-3s have been linked to better cognitive outcomes in older adults.
5. Black Beans “The Brain Booster”: Great in everything from burritos to soup, black beans are full of anthocyanins, compounds that have been shown to improve brain function.